23 July 2007

Monday blues

Monday already - where do the weekends go to ?

Still all in all it wasn't a bad weekend - I managed to get a fair amount of work done in the garden which is my ongoing project. I went to Ayletts in St Albans to buy some railway sleepers with which I'm hoping to build a raised flower bed next to my new patio. I opted to buy new ones rather than reclaimed sleepers basically because old ones start leaking tar all over the place when they get warm and you don't want that on your clothes !

I did two trips to the garden centre (not wishing to risk damaging the suspension by putting too many in there - I've given Renault far too much of my cash so far this year !) , after that I went to B&Q to get some timber preserver to treat the joins where I'm having to cut the ends.

Now I'm sure that the stuff that I bought is very good, but unfortunately it flicks off the brush like nobodys business - it seemed no matter how careful I was to make sure that I didn't splatter, I ended up looking like some ginger person caught in a heat wave. Thankfully a quick shower and copious amounts of IKEA body scrub did the trick and returned my skin to its usual pasty palour - not that I have anything against freckles, but antique oak is just SO not my colour!

So after I finished painting the sleepers I got around to reading the instructions on the tin (like all professional DIY'ers do ) - now it seems like this preserver is going to take up to 5 days to dry properly and could remain slightly damp for a number of weeks - bugger ! So much for getting it finished for next weekend :O(

Talking of the damp, I've just been watching the evening news - my thoughts go out to all those people who's homes have been decimated by the flooding - makes my wet garden pale into insignificance really

No comments: