16 February 2011

Another one bites the dust

Its a sad day when you see yet another pub closing down.



When I was growing up in South Harrow back in the 1980's, every major road junction or crossroads had a pub on it. In fact more often than not, if somebody asked you for directions you would sent them on a route which was defined by Turning left at The Flag, or right at Farmers.

I spent a great deal of time working in bars during that period. Starting out at The George in Ruislip, then moving on to various pubs and clubs, ending at the Fox and Geese in Ickenham. Thankfully none of those that I worked in have been bulldozed - although I have no connection to the buildings apart from having spent time there, it would still feel like losing a little bit of me.

So I was a bit sad to see the shutters come down at The Goodwill to All on Headstone Drive. I'd never been in the pub in all the time I've lived in Harrow - when I worked at the Tithe Farm it always had a reputation as being a 'hard nuts' pub. When ever trouble happened in Bogarts, they generaly were regulars from The Headstone (alas long gone) or The Goodwill.

We had a couple working at Farmers who left to take over The Headstone as their first tenancy many years ago - according to myths, one of the regulars decided to 'take a poo' into the ice bucket and leave it on the bar as a surprise to the new landlord and his wife (I can't say if this actually happened, but if you remember the pub you can probably vouch for the liklihood of such a thing happening).

So, following a long tradition, I'll ask you to raise your glasses and bid a fond farewell to another of Harrows vanishing pubs - I never drank in you, but I'm sure you've got more character in one of your battered window boxes, than the block of flats that will take your place could ever dream of having !

No comments: