24 February 2011

Home again

It was my 49th birthday on Sunday and I decided to go and stay with my friend Jane in Lincoln for a couple of days. I had a nice slow morning and opened my cards and gifts which were cake related but very useful - Baked by Brian had bought me a cake thermometer / tester probe, and one of the girls at work had got me the Baking made Easy cookbook by the woman on BBC2 (Lorraine Pascal) thank you both very much !

I arrived at Lincoln around three thirty which was pretty good going really - after a cuppa and a biscuit I had to go into the front room where Jane had been practising a dance game on the wii - it was so funny to watch. I did grab a video but this little clip doesn't really do it justice !


Once we'd got ready, Jane took me out to a great restaurant called Damons, where we had a really lovely meal. They do this offer that if its your birthday and you show some ID, you get your meal for free, which was really smart. We both had this 'combo' meal of ribs, chicken / pork steak, chips, coleslaw and onion rings fried into a loaf - so tasty !

So that was Sunday really, on Monday we went to Lincoln and had a wander around the shops and had lunch in Lloyds bar which was down on the riverside - I'd guess its lovely there on a summers day, but on a damp February afternoon it was a bit fresh ! After lunch we went to see a couple of Janes sons which was nice - they both have children of their own now and its scary just how fast they grow up.

Then we stopped in at Janes work place so she could show me where she worked and I could put a few faces to peoples names that she mentions. In the evening we just chilled with some wine and pork pies. Sarah came over from over the road and stayed for a while but thankfully there was no dancing this time !

On Tuesday morning I needed to get some petrol before heading home, so we popped to some shops on the way - Jane is hosting an Anne Summers party at the weekend so she had to get some food and drink in for that. We also went to a place called B&M homestore which was a nightmare - have you ever been to a shop where everything that you touch either falls over, falls off the shelf of just breaks ? I'm sure I was being videoed for some prank show !

Can you believe that they had a chrome and glass shelf unit that I brushed against and one of the legs fell off ! I tried to put the leg back but that just made it worse - Jane was no help, she just ran off laughing - poxy thing !!

So after a final coffee I left Janes just after two, and made it back here for around 4:45 last night which was excellent - no hold ups and I missed all the rush hour traffic as well. I did go to the gym last night as well because I'd eaten too much bad stuff up north.

This morning I had to be at the garage for 8am as the car was having a belt replaced - luckily I waited for it to be done and it was all finished within an hour ! The rest of the day was just spend washing and cleaning up really. I did go to teh gym again this evening, but didn't manage to burn off quite as much - oh well !

I was supposed to be going to the seaside tomorrow, but the weather looks like its going to be a bit pants, so Sara, the kids and myself are taking a run out to Black Park near Slough with her dogs, then having a BBQ in the evening - more food to be worked off !

thats all for now !



No comments: