01 February 2011

Work, eat, gym, sleep...

Don't you just hate going back to work after a weeks leave - I know I do. I invariably have a sleepless night the night before, worrying that I'm not going to wake up in time and thinking about all the stuff that could have gone wrong whilst I've been away. Well, thankfully there was nothing of the sort waiting for me when I came in yesterday morning, which was really good.

My inbox had about 40 messages, none of which were important, and all the things that could have thrown a spanner in the works, all carried on working perfectly, so I was really quite pleased.

I also did a bit of baking on Sunday night, just to take my mind off things, so I came in fully armed with a Buttery Maderia cake with orange zest. I have to say it was a very authentic looking maderia with a crumbly crust on top, and just the right texture. The recipe called for 6 passion fruit to be de-seeded and the resultant juice to be liberally ladelled over the skewered cake, but I left out this step for two reasons. Number 1 I hate the taste of passion fruit and Number 2, I couldn't see any in Sainsburys. Next time I make the cake I think I'll knock up a lemon syrup and put that over the cake instead, I think it would be just as nice.

So that was yesterday in a nutshell, back to work and then to the gym in the evening.  Although the gym session was good and I burned off 500 calories, it would have been better if the firemen that I bumped into on the staircase on the way out, had been there on the way in, before I was all sweaty, and red, and smelly !!

No comments: