14 August 2007

Cambridge - saturday night

On Saturday evening I was going to Cambridge with my friend to meet up with another couple (lets call them P and S) for a night out. The day started pretty well as I drove to London Colney to get my food for the week – the Sainsbury’s there is huge and they always have ‘odd’ bits that the other stores don’t stock. After the food shop I took a walk over to the other side of the park where there is a Next and Monsoon – basically because I wanted to see if I could find something smart to wear for the evening. I found a t-shirt and polo top in Next, but my biggest bargain was in Monsoon where they had a 70% off promotion – picked up a lovely brown striped shirt for £13.50 reduced from £55.00 (Yes, I couldn’t work out the math either!)

I picked up my friend at about 5:30pm and we arrived at P’s on the outskirts of Cambridge just around 7:00 – we had a cuppa there and then went to collect S, arriving in town at about 8:00. Theres something weird about going to new towns and looking around, especially at night. Its like they’ve picked up your local High Street and put all the shops and bars back in the wrong order – you know that you’ll find a Top Man, Miss Selfridge, JD Wetherspoons and Millie’s Cookies there somewhere, its just a matter of time !

We started out at a bar called Revolution (there’s one of those in Watford) which was quite busy but had a guy about to start playing bongos so we got out of there after just one drink ! Then we went for something to eat in Wagamama which was quite nice although not as good as Osatsumas in London. I had a strange drink in there, it was like a smoothie but with Pomegranate, cucumber and something else – it looked like a cappuccino but tasted of freshly mown grass (you know that smell – that’s what it tasted of)

After we had eaten we decided to have a walk about the town and try out some different bars. Now all week P had been saying to me that S used to be an estate agent and knew Cambridge like the back of his hand – well I can only assume on Saturday night that he was wearing very thick gloves ! We must have gone to at least 3 places that were ‘really cool bars’ only to discover that they were now restaurants, closed down, or pound shops ! But overall we did have a good night, going to about 4 different bars ending up in one of Cambridges pubs for ‘gentleman who moisturise’, called The Rose and Crown. To be honest this was really quite a nice friendly bar and we stayed there until it closed at 2:30

After that we dropped S and P off home and drove back to Watford, getting back to my place at 4:10 am

There were three things to be learnt from Saturday night

1. You don’t have to get drunk to have a good night out – I was on pop all night
2. Most towns are much the same, it’s the people you are with that make the difference
3. If you’re going to have people to come up and visit you – don’t let them catch you chewing the face off somebody else in a pub doorway :O)

No comments: