07 August 2007

charm offensive

I booked yesterday afternoon off from work as I had the Comet repairman coming to fix my oven (you might remember that its developed this phobia about getting hot and switches itself off when it gets to 150 degrees – not a good selling point for an oven). When I’d booked the appointment for between 12 and 6 they told me that the engineer would call an hour beforehand to let me know he was on the way, giving me time to clear the decks.

So anyway, at ten past ten my mobile rang – “Hello, I’m the Comet engineer, I’ll be there in about 15 minutes”

“Hang on, you’re supposed to be there between twelve and six, I’m still at work”

“Well that’s no good to me mate, I’m in London this afternoon, I’m doing all my Watford jobs this morning”

I decided that it was pointless in arguing with him and managed to get home for an hour to let him in – thankfully he got there 5 minutes after I got home.

As luck would have it the cooker cut out just as he was saying that he couldn’t see what the problem was. He took the top off and prodded around inside for a while, finally deciding that he needed to order some parts

“So I’ll book you in for a service call on Friday 17th then, can’t give you a time I’m afraid”

“But will the parts be in on the 17th”

“No, I’ve not ordered them yet”

“But theres no point in me booking a day off if the parts aren’t in is there, who do I need to contact , you or Comet”

“I really don’t need this today, I’m having a bad day and I really don’t want to be here”

“So who do I chase up to see when the parts are in, am I better ringing Comet”

"Yeah, ring them mate, the numbers on the top of this slip, sign it by the cross, ta"

And that was it – gone in 10 minutes – no cooker for another week, and a snotty letter winging its way to Comet Customer Services!

As an aside, my housemate went to a Foam Party at Destiny last night, he rolled in at 3am (on a school night too!) you should have seen the state of him heading to work this morning !

No comments: