03 August 2007

Shopping fun

I went shopping in Watford last night, trying to find clothes and a pair of trainers for the weekend. Now unfortunately I never have much luck when looking for clothes – everything that I like always looks better on other people, or I’ll see somebody wearing something that catches my eye, and I can never track the thing down.

T-shirts and tops are the worst, why on earth do they make them longer, the larger size that you pick up. Generally I fit most ‘M’ sizes, but if I pick up a top that’s a bit more ‘fitted’ I have to go up to an ‘L’ – this usually ends in the item fitting around the chest and arms, but it hangs down past my waist and well on its way to my knees. I think the only retailer that is any good in this respect is H&M. Don’t they understand that not all men have that are large around the chest have beer bellies and need the extra length of cloth to cover their girth :O(

Another of my gripes are the ‘greeters’ – to me theres nothing more offputting than seeing a shop with no customers, six staff laying in wait and an array of things that are screaming ‘buy me – you know you want to!’ You just know that as soon as you set foot in the door, one of them will peel off and ask if you are ‘ok, mate’ or if you need any help. NO ! I just want to look without feeling like I’m a prospective shoplifter being watched every step of the way .
And then you always get the one that follows you around the displays, just a couple of items behind where you are looking, straightening up the piles or adjusting the items that you have looked at. Grrrr !

This reminds me of shopping in Burtons in Harrow years ago when this assistant wouldn’t leave me alone – he must have asked me six times if I needed any help or if I knew what I wanted. In the end I said “yes, you can help me – I’m trying to get one of these jumpers up my coat without anybody noticing – do you think you could turn your back for ten seconds ?” Eventually he muttered something and walked off – and I walked out ! :O)

Anyway, last night wasn’t too bad in the end – I managed to get a couple of tops in Blue Inc and a pair of trainers from Sports Soccer – at least in that shop the assistants actively avoid you :O)

1 comment:

OddThomas said...

PMSL! Wish I'd been there when you said that! I would have loved to see the look on his face :-)

Anyway, since when has your chest been bigger than your belly?!?!?!