23 January 2011

Bread - is it easier to buy it ??

I'm on a roll today (pardon the pun) ! Gymmed, fitted the cat flat and looking forward to a weeks holiday.

I've been meaning to try baking some bread for a while now. I think I have the knack of making cakes, so trying bread seems a natural progression.

I've just finished all the messy stuff, mixed up the dough and kneaded it for the required ten minutes - now the dough is relaxing in an oiled bowl in the airing cupboard (where hopefully it will rise like some huge balloon, ready to go in the oven)  If everything goes to plan, I should have a batch of about 16 soft dinner rolls at the end of this blog entry - watch this space !

Well two hours after I started I have a batch of rolls ! ok,  they could have done with slightly less time in the oven as they are quite crusty on the outside, but the inner texture wasn't too bad at all - I've eaten worse !




2 comments:

Brian said...

Very nice, see I told you bread wasn't that difficult.

Foshie said...

No, you were right about making it. Very relaxing kneading the dough and the shaping of the dough into the different rolls was fun too. I was annoyed that I baked it for a bit too long, and if I'm honest, it didn't really double in size despite being in the airing cupborad for an hour and a half. The rolls had air bubbles, but they weren't as light and fluffy as I was hoping for - I guess its all just down to practice