06 January 2011

It's time for cake !



But fear not dear reader, I've not given up on my resolutions just yet ! Its my cousins birthday tomorrow and as a surprise I thought that I would take her a cake around after work.

Just before Christmas I bought the new Nigella Kitchen book which is a stunning book crammed full of tasty looking recipes, some of which she cooked in her recent TV series. I was flicking through it looking for inspiration and saw this Maple Pecan cake recipe which looked pretty easy to make apart from requiring me to purchase a new cake tin - well I wanted a Bundt tin anyway, so I thought it was the perfect time to buy it !

So this evening I came in from work and set about the cake - everything was as she described apart from her warning of the stickness of the cake mix. She did say to be prepared for a firm mix, but I wasn't prepared for something that you had to fight to pull out of the bowl !

So its cooking away in the oven and has about 5 minutes left before its done - if it's a success you'll see a picture of it here later on, if not, I'll just say I dropped it getting it out of the oven !


so here is it nicely turned out of the tin - I was a bit disappointed that the pattern didn't show through a bit clearer, but I'll know for next time. The brown parts round the edge are where the Maple and Pecan filling has oozed to the edge of the cake


and the picture below is the finished article - dusted with icing sugar and looking good enough to eat !